Healthcare Telecom Legacy Migration Steps
In 2016, LinkSource was engaged by a client that represents one of the Nation’s largest not-for-profit health benefit and services company, to migrate from a TDM (Time-Division Multiplexing) to SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) technology for voice connectivity. The client was notified by their existing voice infrastructure provider that the legacy TDM services were no longer going to be supported and that a move was required. This accelerated the clients’ timetable for modernizing their voice network infrastructure and centralizing of services. LinkSource had already been working with them as part of their technology strategy and roadmap.
The client has been around for over 60 years, partners with over 40,000 medical providers worldwide and serves more than 84 million members globally. They pride themselves in providing top-notch patient experiences and seek to offer solutions that integrate technology products and services. It makes sense to have an infrastructure that maximizes efficiencies while minimizing costs, and they knew LinkSource would be able to steer them in the right direction.
Client's Pre-existing Infastructure
IP Telephony with Digital Trunks
Telecom costs represent 10 percent of the typical Fortune 1000 company IT fixed expense budget. Moving to VoIP and SIP trunking has the potential to reduce this cost by 50 percent or more. Understanding the migration process and benefits to enable this transformation is critical to the process.
LinkSource deploys a 6-step process that can be applied to most situations to ensure a smooth and thorough transition.1. Understand the business requirements for voice connectivity in terms of availability, capacity, quality, security, and features.
2. Gather existing voice communication costs by reviewing existing infrastructure, rates, and bills from carriers.
3. Issue RFPs to acquire the SIP trunk costs.
4. Determine the appropriate architectural model – Centralized vs. Distributed
5. Put together a business case with a feature Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA)
6. Highlight other strategic reasons for implementing SIP trunks besides cost savings.
- Implementing SIP trunking is usually the third and final phase in converting an organization’s voice communication system to total Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and using the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) for communication signaling.
- LinkSource worked with the client to accelerate their current provider and vet out alternative solutions. They needed a platform that would utilize a centralized SIP and that was designed to meet the client’s needs.
- There was an overall goal of minimizing impact to their business environment and maximizing efficiencies. Since it was determined the new solution would net a cost savings, there was also a need to review their overall contract state to ensure new commitments/minimums were negotiated in alignment with this transition.
Client's New InFrastructure
IP TELEPHONY WITH CENTRALIZED SIP TRUNKS
LinkSource worked alongside the client and carrier throughout the process to ensure that all services were:
- Migrated prior to sunsetting the existing solution
- That the solution met or exceeded their needs and requirements
- The agreement was right-sized to account for the new spend and services
The migration began in October 2016 and concluded in September 2017. Since its conclusion, the client’s monthly voice infrastructure costs were cut by 35% and they now enjoy additional security, scalability, flexibility and upgraded technology in their business environment.
Managing a legacy migration process can be costly and time-consuming to develop. Clients who work with LinkSource gain an experienced team who vets and recommends the best possible solutions for your business. To learn more about Legacy Voice Migration or Telecom Lifecycle Management, click on the button below or call 916-757-1100.
About LinkSource Technologies®:
LinkSource believes that migrating to new technologies should be a seamless and simple experience for their clients. They work with clients to identify their unique business requirements and advise on secure, reliable, cost-effective solutions.
LinkSource partners with organizations to simplify their technology experience. They are recognized technology advisors in the Telecom, Cloud and Cyber Security industries and manage millions in annual client revenue for some of the most prominent global brands. LinkSource is known for thinking outside the box to create opportunities where others see obstacles. Their highly skilled, innovative team bring a fresh perspective to common problems. To learn more about LinkSource's services, click here.